Please let me know if you used this tutorial. Please do not copy my tutorial. Please contact me if you have any questions about this tutorial.
beams v2 tutorialWhat you'll need:
You'll be making something like:
This picture is cropped for tutorial purposes
1. Make sure your sitemodel cutout layer IS NOT merged with your vector or anything else (a normal stroke around them is ok). Create a new layer.
2. Click on the pen tool.
3. Place your first dot somewhere near the top side of the sitemodel or behind them (outlined mine in red). Mine is cropped for tutorial purposes.
4. Place your next point kinda far out from the sitemodel, but diagonal to the first point, like I did below.
5. Place your next point diagonal on the opposite side (you should see a zigzag forming now).
6. Continue with the pen tool down your sitemodel in a zigzag, but try not to have too many lines going over their face. I only have one on the face but i'll be erasing it later.
7. Make sure the color you want the beam to be is selected. Click on the brush tool, select the circle brush that should have came with Photoshop. It's one of the preset brushes. Select the one that is 3px in size (ignore that the picture says 2px) I mean you can do 2px or 3px, but I personally like it thicker.
8. Click on the pen tool. Right click somewhere on your sign where you used the pen tool previously. A thing should pop up that says "Stroke Path." click ok. Click the backspace key on your keyboard twice to get rid of the pen tool selection. Now you should see something like this.
9. Click on the eraser tool. Click on a circle brush (like what you used above to do the link). Use the eraser tool to erase EVERY OTHER LINE that COVERS the sitemodel. I suggest you start out erasing the line that goes over her face (if you have any over the face) and then every other around that. For example, see how I erased the ONE line I had over her face?
and this is after I erased every other line.
10. Hold in ctrl on your keyboard and click the thumbnail (little preview thing) of the beam layer. The beam should be selected now.
11. Click "Layer >> New fill layer >> gradient >> ok >>" and choose your gradient. Drag the gradient layer below the original beam layer. Click on the move tool, using the arrow down key on your keyboard, nudge the gradient layer down 2 times.
12. Merge your sitemodel cutout layer with the 2 beam layers.
13. If you did the last step properly than these next steps will work. Click on the magic wand tool and select in the closed in areas of the zigzag.
14. Click "Layer >> New Fill Layer >> Pattern >> ok" Find the zebra pattern, or whatever other pattern you want.