double outline tutorialYou'll be making something like:
The Steps1. Open the bg psd that you want to use in the outline. Change all colors of it to your color scheme and then define it as a pattern.
2. Choose your normal strokes to your cutout. I did 2px white and then 2px gradient.
3. Hold in CTRL on your keyboard and then click on the cutout layers thumbnail.
The area around the person should be selected now.
4. Click "Select >> Modify >> Expand." Expand it by 12 or more. I'm doing 17 for this. Now the area around the person should've expanded.
Click "Layer >> New Fill Layer >> Pattern" and choose the bg psd you defined in step 1. Make sure the pattern layer is UNDER the cutout layer.
5. Add whatever strokes you want. I did a 2px white stroke and then a 1px scanline.
6. Now you have to delete half of the outline. Pick which size you are KEEPING the outline on. Now use the rectangular marquee tool (or the pen tool) to outline the side you're deleting.
Push the backspace key on your keyboard to delete that part of the outline.
7. Okay so see how it looks odd at the top? You need to be really careful with how yours "blends in" to the sign. My top is ok because I'm going to be moving the outline under all my decos, which will hide that cropped top part. You might need to add a deco or something to yours, so choose your cutouts wisely when you're doing a one sided outline, or a double outline.
Here's mine blending in now cause I moved it under the ice deco.
now for the other half
Ok so you can keep it at half if you want, but that's not what tutorial is so lets continue!
8. Decide what you wanna do to the other side and do it. Don't mind that it overlaps the other outline. See how mine's a hot mess over lapping the left outline? (though that would be cute if I still had the basic outline around the whole thing lol)
Do what you did in step 6 and delete the other side. OR move the layer under the other outline so the other outline hides it.
Keep in mind there's a ton of different combos you can use in a double outline. This is just one example.